How to Gain Kinship Visitation or Custody of a Young Relative

If you have a meaningful relationship with your grandchild or another young relative, being separated from him or her can be difficult for both of you. Whether you are being denied custody or visitation by the child’s parents or the state Department of Family and Children Services, Claiborne | Fox | Bradley | Goldman may be able to help.

What is kinship visitation and custody?

In some broken families, the grandparents or other relatives need legal representation to get visitation with children, or the kin may need to seek custody if they believe the child is not receiving adequate care from his or her parents. In other cases, the state may have taken custody of a family’s children without giving proper consideration to placing the children with relatives.

In situations like these, the attorneys of Claiborne | Fox | Bradley | Goldman  can work with concerned relatives to secure custody or visitation rights with the children.

How can I get custody or visitation?

The lawyers of Claiborne | Fox | Bradley | Goldman  can assist relatives with determining their rights and proceeding in the best interest of the children. We can provide all of the services and representation you need to obtain kinship visitation or custody in Georgia or North Carolina, including:

  • advising you about your rights, legal procedures and the strength of your case.
  • petitioning the court to grant visitation or custody.
  • representing you in court.
  • and more.

Every family situation is different, and Claiborne | Fox | Bradley | Goldman  will tailor our kinship visitation and custody services to meet your family’s unique needs. To learn more about our legal services or to discuss your individual circumstances in more detail, please contact us to schedule a consultation.